Tuesday, March 3, 2009

My new ride

Todd and I have been busy car shopping lately (groan, groan). Thankfully, the process didn't take too long. My forester's engine was on the way out and it was only a matter of time before it died. So, instead of putting a lot of money into the forester to get a new engine we decided it might be more worth our while to get something new. We were planning on upgrading sometime next year for a little bit bigger vehicle due to the addition of the baby coming this September. It was interesting test driving different vehicles to see what would fit me and be comfortable for Todd. There were a few models where I had difficulty even seeing over the steering wheel, so those were crossed off the list pretty quickly.

We found that the toyota highlander fit me the best. I can move the driver's seat up and forward so far and it works for Todd too. So, we had narrowed down the type of car and test drove both the hybrid and the gas model. They both really handled well and the only main difference was that the hybrid had a little more pick up and go up the hills and of course had much better gas mileage. I think the slow car market was on our side, because we ended up getting a great deal on the Toyota Highlander Hybrid and got a decent price on my forester. We also got a nice warranty so we feel pretty good about the purchase at least for the next seven years. Hopefully, the hybrid computer technology will become more mainstream and cheaper to fix, just in case we have any problems down the road. I am definitely excited about owning a new car, but also very nervous about hurting it. So, if you see me on the road or in the parking lot, make sure to give me plenty of clearance.

A view of the back seat and optional third row seat. The back seat's console can also be switched out with a seat that can make it seat three across. With the armrests up you can actually squeeze someone in there. We really liked how roomy the back seats are and how you can make a little separation if need be with the console and cup holders. I am sure many snacks and toys will be stored in there in the years to come.
View of the third row seat folded down
It looks so shiny!




Picture Todd took of Meadow with some lichen in her hair that had fallen off a tree. Here she is looking at moss on a rock. She loves to take the moss off when we are outside playing.
Look at all the room back here. I also ordered a rubber cover to go over the fabric in the back so we can throw all of our outdoor gear back there and not have to worry about getting it dirty. I had one in my Subaru and it was definitely key with taking the dirty jogging stroller in and out.

We are excited to be able to carpool with some other families to the zoo or various places around Portland and to be able to pick up my parents or other friends from the airport. Hint hint.. We haven't had visitors for awhile.

2 comments:

Jerri said...

That's awesome! I love all the photos. And of course so excited you got a hybrid! Go you guys! YAY!

Anonymous said...

Love the new car, and I'm excited that its a hybrid!! I haven't had *any* problems with the hybrid technology on my car, except for one small computer issue that they fixed once I told them what to do.